Join Our Mailing List
Email:
Visit our blog  Find us on Google+  Find us on Pinterest  Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter

Safe Eggs
Log Out | Topics | Edit Profile
Forum Archive

Dottie's Blog Log Out | Topics | Register | Edit Profile

TransplantBuddies.org Forums » Buddies Blogs » Dottie's Blog « Previous Next »

At 6 weeks old, Dottie Lessard was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis and Doctors told her parents
not to expect her to live past 2 years of age. When Dottie reached two, then doctors told her
parents she would not make it to first grade. Now at 43, Dottie is one ferocious athlete with an
insatiable appetite for life with every intention to compete in athletics and in life at the highest
level possible. She is proving to the world that Transplants Do Work. She has defied all odds.
Dottie has won several Gold Medals in the U.S. Transplant Games, carried the Olympic Torch
through Boston and has been acclaimed as one of Boston’s Exceptional Women of the Year.
Bryant Gumble of HBO Real Sports featured Dottie on his show after following her for two
years while Runner’s World Magazine honored her with their prestigious “Heroes of Running
Award”. She has been featured in other sports magazines as a “Top Inspirational Athlete”.

Dottie considers it a miracle to be alive and today and with all she has done, Dottie is most
proud of her six year old son Liam. She is a Personal Empowerment Coach, Nike Athlete,
author and life inspiration to all she meets. Her first book was released with high praise on
May 26, 2010 titled”Seven Letters That Saved My Life” (available on www.amazon.com and
www.barnesandnoble,com .

She has co founded Whole-Body Wellbeing www.wholebodywellbeing.com to help Empower
others with experience, knowledge, and tools to help them have their own success and reach their
own goals and dreams.

Her goal is to LIVE LIFE FULLY and do all she can to help others do the same.

Dottie Lessard.com

Dottie's Transplant Games TV Interview

Richard Dugan Radio Show- Interview with Dottie

Thread Original Poster Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
A picture is worth a thousand wordsHostess Rise'Hostess Rise'07-17-11  09:29 am
Dottie's new radio interview Candy O' Terry from Magic 1067Organic GalDottie Lessard11-23-10  06:03 pm
New Article in Women's RunningDottie LessardDottie Lessard11-08-10  10:56 am
Dottie Lessard's Empowered Living DVD series and more......Hostess RiseRise11-01-10  08:31 am
TRIO articleRiseDottie Lessard10-19-10  08:24 pm
Ask DottieDottie LessardKaren R.17 09-26-10  10:31 pm
Way To Go Girls!Dottie LessardHostess Rise08-26-10  03:25 pm
Dottie's Blog..My newest heroDottie LessardDottie Lessard08-14-10  12:27 pm
Bad days pass, good days come...Hostess Rise'Hostess Rise'05-05-10  06:01 pm
Create Your VisionHostess Rise'Dottie Lessard05-05-10  04:40 pm
  Start New Thread          

Dottie Lessard
Username: Dottie_lessard

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Everyone.
This is Dottie and I am very new to this whole Blog, Facebook, Twitter thing but if you ask anyone who knows me, I am never at a loss for words so with some advice from some good people (Thanks Risa, Sharon, Melissa and Ben) Here I Go!!

I am going to start blogging..yikes. Where to start? What to say? What to share? I guess I need to start with the most basic thing.

I am alive, I am healthy and I am blessed. From a little girl growing up with Cystic Fibrosis to now, after two organ transplants be where I am today-A MOMMY to a 6 year old, a sponsored Nike athlete, a life wellness coach and new author-well, DREAMS do come TRUE.

My passion and what i believe has kept me alive throughout my life is "taking control of your life' In whatever situation you are in "You have a choice" Strengthening our whole body and Empowering ourselves to "Be Strong". I have learned many lessons along the way in this life and ALL have been valuable, some tough-but valuable.
I do what o do because i can and because of that chance i can spark in a child living with an obstacle (health, ecomonic,whatever) or a mom raising their child with a lifelong illness -a flame to fuel into a fire within to go forward with all that they have a believe. For "if you believe-truly believe from deep down inside, others will have to , or have to get out of your way",
never let a statistic define you-it isnt yours. OK, well thats enough for now, I need to go get my little miracle from school and play ball with him in the sunshine. Life is Good.
I will write more later
Peace and LIVE LIFE FULLY,
Dottie
Brian
Username: Briancurran01

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

welcome to the Blog land :-)

How did you get to be a sponsored Nike Athlete? that is cool.
Awaiting kidney Transplkant since 12/09
Happy2Bhere
Forum Leader
Username: Happy2bhere

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Dottie,

I checked out your websites and I am highly impressed. http://www.dottielessard.com/index.html

I'm sure you have been told this many times "You are truly an inspiration to others".

Ol' Bob
Texas Bob
http://www.cafepress.com/Happy2Bhere_2
Heart Transplant
performed Jan 28th 1991
http://www.heartandcoeur.com/story/bob_story.php
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator
Username: Rise

Post Number: 12884
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Welcome Dottie to our blog world here on buddies.

I will be tuning into read all you have to say.
Cystic Fibrosis- dx at 2yrs. -2nd double lung tx-05 JMH

contact
Transplantbuddies@gmail.com

Join our Social Network on
www.transplantfriends.com
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the welcome :-) I tried to reply on my phone earlier to these posts-it seems it did not work :-) Student here..:-)
So, to answer your question. It has been a dream of mine since I was young to be a Nike Girl. I saw it, believed it when others laughed, I lived it in my mind and "still believed"
I worked diligently to keeping fit and strong and be "my athlete" throughout my life with my health challenges and I can honestly say it is what kept me alive. After my lung transplant in 1994 I became the athlete i dreamed with new lungs and in 2005 I was honored by Runners World as one of their "Hero;s of Running" when i shared my story, some people from Nike were in the audience. Dreams come true, Hard work pays off :-)
Never stop believing in doing what others call the impossible!

How are you doing?
Dottie
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dear Ol' Bob,
Thank you so much for your kind words. The website is going to be having an overhaul here soon. YOU Sir, are a true inspiration and I get the impression that you touch many lives with your many talents and wonderful outlook on life-it is an honor to "share space" here with you and have you as a member of what i call "my special Family" as we are all tied together by this LIFE we have been given to live and the gifts we have received.

I look forward to being inspired by all of you on this wonderful site.
Love Dottie
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Risa,
Thank you my dear friend....I am SO PROUD of all you have done with this site and how you have chosen to give back...and LIVE your LIFE

It will be my honor to be a part of it...
D XO
Diane
Forum Leader
Username: Mary_diane

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Dottie,

You are truly inspirational. I remember a few of your posts when I first joined TX buddies, and I am glad to see you back.

Many of us don't know how to move on, and just achieve our dreams. I guess we just take the first step and start doing it. I love reading your inspirational posts.
Diane
Liver Transplant Nov 20, 2008
Vancouver General, BC

“Sometimes our light goes out but is blown again into flame by an encounter with another human being. Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light.”

Albert Schweitzer
DAP1122
Forum Leader
Username: Dap1122

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dottie,

Welcome to TransplantBuddies Blogs. I also will be following your inspirational words on a regular basis.

Be well and God Bless!
New blog/web page - http://My2ndHeartBeat.wordpress.com
DAP1122@Gmail.com
Heart Tx - 5/11/2007
DAP
Ohio, USA

Link to the Transplant Buddies Calendar - http://www.my.calendars.net/2ndHeartBeat
Brian
Username: Briancurran01

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

WOW!!! that is so cool!!!

I am doing good.

That would be so cool to be a sponsored athlete. I cant run (bad knees and ankle)

I thought about trying to do competitive lweight lifting for a while..but now that has to be put on hold because I have lost alot of my strength.

But your accomplishments are very inspiring to me!! thank you for sharing!!

Brian
Awaiting kidney Transplkant since 12/09
CiscoKidney07
Forum Leader
Username: Gregg

Post Number: 3411
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi, Dottie. Good to have someone to inspire the folks on here. So glad that you have a take control approach to life. Many others need to hear your message. You go girl! I have made some strides in taking charge of my life, too. the way I figure it, it is up to us, because nobody else can. Oh, sure, they can encourage you, but if you don't put the pedal down, nobody else will. Glad to have you here. Keep on truckin'!!
There are not too many things in life worth working my butt off for, but my health is one of them
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Guys, WOW..Thanks to you all for your kind words-I know I will be receiving inspiration from all of you! I am trying to read some from each of your blogs so I can know a little more about each of you-VERY Impressed.
I hope I can contribute somewhat and will make a strong effort to get on here and post and also "get inspired" from your blogs.

Life can get crazy busy and i am not the best at "structure" probably because I really never had alot of structure while growing up as I wasnt sure what day i would be sick, not sick, in hospital or out, etc. Priorities are different when you are sick :-) Now, in real life, still learning..and its been a while:-) Life is a process i guess...Life is good.:-)

I just want to say today that I am so proud of all of you here. You have made a choice to "take control" of the situations you are in whether it is awaiting a transplant or living with your transplant.
We all have our personal obstacles in life and it is how we choose to "live with them" that matters. Taking action and making even the "tiniest steps" towards what it is you want for the day, for life,etc is what makes a difference. And, for today, if you cannot do it with your body, do it with your mind-that creates change, power. I love the courage and determination you all have and am honored to get to "see it" through these posts.

Brian, you keep on keepin on! and I Love the List of gratitude..I have done that for many years (even on days I didnt want to-those were the days it was MOST important to put things down!) I actually have that as one of my lessons in my book. They have made me "stare reality in the face" We may have struggles, yet we are blessed. You keep believing in your heart and soul that you will overcome and YOU WILL. If you cant lift one day, lift in your mind, picture yourself as to how you will when you are healthy-FEEL that FEELING, Emotion. Own it and it will become, then the next day, try again, never give up-your day will come. Gear up.
So many times when I was so sick waiting for my lung transplant I couldnt walk for more than 2 minutes slow on my treadmill but i did it, then got off and did it again, and again. I may not have walked miles or on some days, even 10 minutes but I did it. I did something and for that, i was NOT defeated. We do not have to be perfect, we have to be purposeful...:-)
Lady Di-WOW, You are such a giver and a positive support. Love your vision...
Cisco Kidney what can I say except...I am proud to call you a fellow ATHLETE. You are empowering yourself and deciding how YOU want to live-amazing.
DAP-the same with you...I am truly honored and am so proud of your voice and passion. I am friends with many professional athletes and am so proud of all their accomplishments but none of them can compare to the pride I feel from hearing these posts from all of you.
YOU are my FAVORITE athletes...xo

Ok see, I like to talk...
Have a good day everyone
Love Dottie
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Guys,
Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I am excited to watch my friend Ryan Hall race in the Boston marathon today-he could actually win it!!
Say a prayer for me...he is not only a great athlete but a great guy also. Gives back to this world in many, many ways.

I have started a blog on my new site and would like to share it with you-as I said, i am pretty new to all of the social media, Blog, facebook,...."stuff" But I am enjoying sharing and am quite proud of this one in particular. I have decided as a writer, (just how I have always written, even while writing my book 7 Letters that saved my Life, I could never "sit down" at a set time, i had to write (even if it was a 3 am) when it "came to me" when my heart spoke...
So this second blog was about life with the help of my son Liam-who is my LIFE. This one is titled ROOTS, Hope you enjoy....

Roots....
www.wholebodywellbeing.com

(SORRY..have not figured out how to "pass the blog" over so for now if you go to this site and click on blogs you will see)

I hope everyone has a great day and remember, "If you chose to do something today to help yourself,..even if it is moving only a little..it is making a choice to take control and have a say........................you WILL be EMPOWERED.

LIVE LIFE FULLY,
Dottie
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12915
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I absolutely love your blog. I will be one of your fans that will be reading. How do you subscribe to your blog postings?

Perhaps you can copy and paste what you write on your blog onto your blog here?

luv
Rise'

contact
Transplantbuddies@gmail.com

Join our Social Network on
www.transplantfriends.com
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Everyone,

It has been a busy week with my little one on school vacation from kindergarten so I am catching up on my work as I PLAYED alot this week-YAY!

I will be posting again the begining of the week but wanted to share some info from my co founder of Whole Body Wellbeing with you. She posted a great blog on our site about the safety of drinking water. There has been a lot on this topic lately in the media and I know for me, I am going to continue to drink bottled water. Better safe than sorry and I try to live my life with a good healthy balance -Not living in a bubble because I have had organ transplants and am immune compromised but live life fully educated as much as possible without going overboard.

I, speak on emotion, on my passion, on what i have lived and what i have seen and learned. This is my strength, Sharon's is the facts, the research, etc and I am blessed to have her equal me out and complete my vision of empowering anyone overcoming health, and life, challenges. It is an interesting article with some good facts
Knowledge is power......

I will be back in the next couple days and hope everyone is MOVING! :-)
Dottie
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Everyone,

It has been a busy week with my little one on school vacation from kindergarten so I am catching up on my work as I PLAYED alot this week-YAY!

I will be posting again on Monday and I believe some exciting things are happening for me that i am excited to share with you but wanted to share some info from my co founder of Whole Body Wellbeing with you. She posted a great blog on our site about the safety of drinking water. There has been a lot on this topic lately in the media and I know for me, I am going to continue to drink bottled water. Better safe than sorry and I try to live my life with a good healthy balance -Not living in a bubble because I have had organ transplants and am immune compromised but live life fully educated as much as possible without going overboard.

I, speak on emotion, on my passion, on what i have lived and what i have seen and learned. This is my strength, Sharon's is the facts, the research, etc and I am blessed to have her equal me out and complete my vision of empowering anyone overcoming health, and life, challenges. It is an interesting article with some good facts
Knowledge is power......

I will be back in the next couple days and hope everyone is MOVING! :-)
You are all MY INSPIRATION...Thank You!

Dottie
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Everyone, Hope you are all well and making most of the day. It has been a busy one for me but a grateful one :-) I wanted to share some of the post i wrote today on my blog, if you would like to read the whole thing you can click on link under it (still learning these things so bear with me) you can also sign up on the site to get the blogs sent directly to you like here at Transplant Buddies.
I want you all to know I get alot of my inspiration from you all....Love Dottie

Blog Post
It was just minutes after 8am this morning and already i had received an email from a CF mom telling me her daughter went back to school today after being hospitalized with pneumonia for a bit and that her picc line will be coming out on Wensday-she has CF but don't tell her that it will stop her from doing anything -YAY, a little me (watch out world) Then...the next thing I read is a post from a friend that she is LIVING with CF, 6 yr old twins, and coming up to 4 years post lung transplant. I met her prior to her transplant and she was REALLY sick. Now, i can "feel her energy and joy" through the computer on her post. (I see some signs of Dottie in her too-especially the sparks of determination and a tiny bit of stubbornness!
It's gonna be a good day! I feel fed with hope and strength and the sun is shining.
I guess what i am trying to say in this is that life moves,...(to read rest of blog go to website below...cant paste all on here for some reason-UGH was not born to understand all this!) :-)
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13006
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dottie-
Wonderful blog post

To read Dottie's blog
Bad days pass, good days come...
http://blog.wholebodywellbeing.com/2010/05/05/bad-days-pass-good-days-come.aspx

Join our Social Network
Transplant Friends.com

Questions or Suggestions- Email Hostess Rise'
Dottie Lessard

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Let's Make Lemonade!

OK, so there is the saying that everyone knows- "Turn your Lemons into Lemonade" One of the greatest ways I have found to do this is to make something positive out of something difficult by helping others with what you have learned from those experiences.

As I sit here typing next to my son who is having his breakfast of toast and chocolate milk (its vacation..) I feel like I have come full circle and have been blessed to have a lot of lemons in my past to now use to make some GREAT Lemonade.

I am so proud of my book Seven Letters That Saved My Life and hearing how people have started to change their lives after reading it has been a great source of pride and accomplishment for me. "I strongly believe the greatest gift you can give to yourself is giving back to others, helping others." I am so honored to be able to do this. My book is being used as I guidebook and a source of Inspiration for others to believe in themselves and go for their dreams and goals-Knowing this helps strengthen every part of my Whole Body Wellbeing and reminds me that life is Good and people are Worth It.

So, today I am excited to share with you my newest batch of "Lemonade" EMPOWER PRO. WHOO HOO!!!!
Over 18 years ago when I was waiting for my double lung transplant and trying to stay strong to bring as much as i could "to the table" I found my strength in a protein powder. When I couldn't eat or when nothing would stay down from my massive coughing fits I held onto this mixture as my HOPE. And it was. It helped support my body so that my tired lungs could be wrapped into a strong body to help protect them and carry them until my transplant. I used this quality protein with vitamins and minerals a foundation, as a weapon and it worked! Yes, I ate but when i couldn't or when I needed extra nutrition, this is what carried my through. It helped Save My Life without a doubt.

18 years later I know and understand even more about how crucial and important good quality nutrition is and how at times it can make or break your health. I have taken classes, received certifications in nutrition but my best education is what i have learned and seen "In the trenches" and trust me, some if it isn't pretty but all of it has been worth it to be where I am today. Every time I hear "momma" from my son and every time I see HOPE in a child's eyes and in their parents eyes also.

This Lemonade comes in the flavors of chocolate and vanilla and I believe it is my most important batch yet! I also believe it will help Empower and strengthen many-including me. Nothing in life is worth anything if you cannot share it and I cannot wait to share this!
I hope you decide to try my newest "Lemonade" EMPOWER PRO and also hope it encourages you to remember to make your own always....

LIVE LIFE FULLY people!
Dottie
Dottie,
Author of "The Seven Letters That Saved My Life"
Coach, Athlete and Mom to Liam
Survivor of
Cystic Fibrosis, Double lung transplant 94, Kidney transplant, 03
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
Alex's grandmother
Username: Margo

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I am so inspired by your story and a bit ashamed of complaining about my aches and pains. If you and Devon can do all that you do then I will be inspired to reach for higher goals. Bless you for all that you do. I have forwarded your story to all my family and friends in hopes that they all will be motivated to move forward in their lives. You are remarkable!
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Wow, Thank you so much for ALL your kind words-they mean so much-truly. We all have our obstacles we face and overcome so do not be ashamed of complaining about your aches and pains :-) I just hope my story may encourage you to work through them better to do all you deserve and want to do! :-)

THANK YOU for forwarding my story, I feel very proud to have come through what i have but helping others find their own strength is truly what makes me feel the best.

I am going to make a point to find out more about Alex's Grandmother and Alex this weekend on this site. Rise' has done such an AMAZING job building this community and I am so proud to be a part of it.

Thank you again so very much,
Dottie
Dottie,
Survivor of
Cystic Fibrosis, Double lung transplant 94, Kidney transplant, 03
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Hostess Rise
Board Administrator

Post Number: 14003
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Dottie

Yes I have worked very hard on this website and I am still learning the ropes of this intricate forum and all its capabilities. Just a while ago, I think I am turning into a computer geek LOL

Here is part of the story where Alex (heart recipient) Alex's grandmother received Sarah's heart. You will see a name Sarah's Mom in this thread. Bob Pitcock some how introduced them or realized who these families were through the internet

http://www.transplantbuddies.org/tbx/messages/15032/47903.html?1270154691

This is a very unique and never before happened story on transplantbuddies or probably anywhere else on the internet where a donor family and recipients family connect and unite through another heart recipient (Bob)

Sort of gives you the goose bumps!
Cystic Fibrosis- dx at 2yrs. -2nd double lung tx-05
Debra Fertel MD- Med. Dir. Lung Transplant/Pulmonary Hypertension Programs
Jackson Memorial Hospital

Si Pham MD, Professor of Surgery, Dir. of Thoracic Transplant & Artificial Heart Program-Miam Transplant Institute

Anas Hadeh MD, Cleveland Clinic, Weston, Florida
CF consultant- Critical Care and Sleep Medicine

Sharing Knowledge is an Invaluable Experience
Transplant Friends & Chat
Questions- Contact Hostess Rise'
CiscoKidney07
Forum Leader

Post Number: 4035
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dottie, I thought I would replay to your post that you made on my blog to make sure that you saw it. I spend so much time at the gym, but I think it might be necessary. I like to eat!! LOL!! (There is a big secret) In any case, the last time that I was dropping weight, I did it too fast and when I went to put it back on, I did not include cardio in my routines, which I know now is a big mistake. I will not make that one again. It is hard enough for a guy my age to get his body fat under 20% without compounding the problem. Oh well. I know now.
There are not too many things in life worth working my butt off for, but my health is one of them
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hey Cisco!

It is true, we can manage some of our lifestyle "joys" with training and taking great care of oursleves...a little secret..I LOVE to eat too! Really :-)

The BEST part is that we are healthy enough now to be able to enjoy the great things in life including food and working out!

I think itis inspirational that you demand only the best for yourself and the gift you have been given. Very cool and very inspiring.

It is true, if we dont do things correctly -it doesnt work. It sounds like you learned...and thats when we grow!

I look forward to hearing how you do-keep up the GREAT work with yourself and others!
Dottie
Dottie,
Survivor of
Cystic Fibrosis, Double lung transplant 94, Kidney transplant, 02
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
CiscoKidney07
Forum Leader

Post Number: 4088
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

LOL!! Dottie, I am trying to PREVENT myself from growing!
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Cisco...you always make me laugh and i love that!! You can grow "within" that strong petite muscular body :-)

Remember turkey day is coming up...you have to enjoy that day!!

Thanks for the inspiration and laughter my friend, I hope we meet one day in person :-)
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I’m Knockin At Your Door…

They say if you want to make a difference, find where there is a problem, and fix it, make a solution.

I am very proud to say that I strongly believe I have. I sit here very proud and very excited to help others feel like there is HOPE, feel STRONGER and LIVE BETTER. Whatever your obstacle is, an illness, an injury, a weight issue, a motivation issue, It all begins with building a foundation and making sure that foundation is made STRONG. Taking the very step, making the first move. I believe now I have the very first granite stone you can place for that foundation, EMPOWER PRO.

For years I did everything I could to stay healthy, be healthy. Living with CF in and out of the hospital I would drink tar if they said I would feel better. Yet nothing seemed to make a difference until I went outside of the hospital and found a quality protein drink. That was 18 years ago and I never forgot what it felt like to feel hope, to feel a difference, to see a change in how I felt and fought. It EMPOWERED me. I know want to give that same power to as many people as I can. I believe it is one of the reasons I am still here. To give back and share what I learned to survive and now truly live.

It breaks my heart when I see people doing everything they possibly can and still not see results. Some of this is life, I know, I lived it. Yet, everyone can make some sort of difference, I truly believe that. And, if they put in the effort, I WANT IT TO MATTER. This is why I developed a quality drink with professionals in the field. I want what you do to matter.

I am not going to talk about all the amazing scientific info we have-It is important but it is not what I am reaching out to you for because if you do not feel any spark inside to make a difference, that doesn’t mean jack. But, please go on our website www.wholebodywellbeing.com and look under Empower Pro “the difference” for that because it is important and was very important in my determination to do this. I am reaching out with the real life facts of making the choice to do your part in having the life you want, the health you want. You cannot sit back and wait for someone else, even the doctors, to do it for you. YOU must fight your own fight, YOU must go for your own goals, and YOU must decide within yourself I WILL do everything I can. Then my friend, you will see results. Small results create momentum for huge results. Take action and watch and see for yourself. Stop watching others, do and watch yourself.

I am not claiming to be an expert. However I am an expert in results of my own life. Those results are pretty darn good. And if I can make it to where I am with what I learned, where do you think you can go? It is my dream, no…it is my goal, that everyone has the opportunity to do all they want to do in this life. Make and take yours.

Don’t settle for mediocrity in your life, go for outstanding. Demand it for yourself and MAKE YOUR HARD WORK MATTER.

Be EMPOWERED and LIVE LIFE FULLY,

Dottie

Creator of Empower Pro

“Made by a Patient, for a Patient”, Made by an Athlete, for an Athlete”, Made for a Dreamer, by a Dreamer”…….Get it?

May you ALL LIVE the life you so very much Deserve,
Dottie
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Hillary
Username: Hgravendyk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dottie,

After reading your story it sounds like you had a child after your lung transplant-- may I ask if you adopted? Or were you able to carry a child? I am one year out from a bilateral lung transplant and very much want to have children. I'm 31 years old and trying to figure out what my options are. The doctors seem to discourage pregnancy and adoption is difficult, apparently, because of my health condition. How did you do it?

Hillary
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Hillary, I just sent you a welcome post on your blog :-)

So, yes, I adopted. It was actually in the delivery room and cut the cord-it was an amazing experience and Liam is my greatest gift.

I would say this to you, never limit your options Hillary -no matter what anyone tells you. With that being said, my personal choice was not to have my own child because of the risk to both myself and the unborn baby with all the medications that would have to be adjusted, how i would have to be monitored, etc-yet it is a personal choice.

What i can say is that Liam is MY CHILD. I love him just as much as if i delivered him myself-he is a product of me as his mother and has many of my characteristics. never worry about loving your child different if they are adopted, i do not believe it, my child was given to me by God and he is mine :-)

I would also say do not always believe adoption is difficult, I had my fear of this prior to finding out more also. I was married at the time (almost 7 years ago) and we filed with an agency, my health was strong and it was not looked at as a negative, I also believe it helped I had a husband that was healthy also but I did not find AT ALL that they thought any less of my ability so hold on to that!

As fate would have it, and god, Liam was a private adoption from a family member of a mutual friend but...we were planning on registering with an adoption agency right before this came to us.

I would say Hillary go for what it is you want as you deserve it. there are SO MANY children out there needing and wanting good homes. Maybe start with your state child services and go from there-I was planning to adopt a child anywhere from birth up to 5 years old. If I could adopt 10, i would in a heartbeat.! I would say to you make sure you are ready for someone to take a lot of time and energy form your life-wonderful time and energy but time and energy. having a child is a huge commitment that you need to be ready to undertake, I made sure that i was ready and that he would be my biggest priority.

I wish you all the best and please never hesitate to contact me. You go in and talk to, apply to any agency you feel could help you proudly and strong-you have every right to be a mom and there is a child out there that needs a good one!

May you be blessed with all your dreams,
Dottie
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Dottie's Lessard TransplantBuddies Blog
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Remembering Ron Herrick today who passed away at a wonderful age of 79 on my birthday, Dec 27th. Ron was the first successful living kidney donor who donated to his brother in 1954.
Thank You Ron for showing the world that true hero's do exist and paving the way for us all. I am quite sure you were welcomed in heaven w...ith quite a c...elebration. In memory of Ron, THANK YOU to ALL donors everywhere-and a special thank you to you My Linda
I LIVE and BREATHE for you all.........
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15270
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Heard it was your birthday Dottie

A little birdie told me today.

Wishing you a beautiful belated Birthday wish. May all your dreams continue to flourish and take you far and wide.
Debra Fertel MD- Si Pham MD, Professor of Surgery---Jackson Memorial Hospital
Anas Hadeh MD, Cleveland Clinic Cystic Fibrosis Consultant

Join Facebook
Hostess Rise's blog
My Photos on Transplant Friends

Questions- Contact Hostess Rise

God Bless All Organ Donors
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I cannot believe at midnight tonight it is going to be 2011. How amazing LIFE is. How lucky we are.

Every year since I was a young girl I would make my “resolution” and also silently wish for a new year filled with pure and complete health. I would wish there to be a cure found for Cystic Fibrosis and that my lungs would work better. I still make that very same wish after more than 30 years - I am still here. Thank You God and Thank You to all who have helped me along the way. I honor you with my determination to continue to grow, learn, give back, and take as good of care of myself and my gifts as I possibly can.

I also learned something else along the way. We need to do more than “wish”. We need to be accountable for ourselves and take action doing whatever we can to make and allow the things we are wishing for to happen. We can’t always “make them come true” but we can sure help with the process. I know it is up to me to keep my body as strong as I possibly can so that I can not only live the life I want and do the things I want but so I can fight off and protect myself from any and all obstacles that try to get in my way. *This is important for every human being, not just the ones who “are sick”. If you don’t take care of yourself, no matter who you are, “sick will come”. Don’t let it.

I may have been born “sick”, I am not now and I believe that is because of me-of course with the help of the medical community and loved ones but I made the decision to fight and to what is difficult to overcome. Those who are living with diseases like CF, Cancer, and Diabetes…don’t call them “sick”, I hated being called that. They may be fighting a disease or a health challenge but many of those people are healthier than people who are completely clean of illness right now. They are more fulfilled and doing more each day with their life. There are struggles and miserable days but they find the good to keep going on-that’s being- “healthy”. It is a choice how you want to live the life you have been given. We all have it.

With a STRONG foundation I am able to fight off viruses and infections, train and play hard, and when I do get something, I have more to “battle” with. This is key and I believe it is why I have been able to live all these years with CF and 16 years post lung transplant the way I have.
So as I sit here and drink my Empower Pro nutrition drink (that I am SO proud of) and plan the goals for my day-including going to the clinic to train before the day gets busy. I know that I am taking care of my foundation, strengthening the bricks, filling in any cracks so that I can have a wonderful and fulfilling 2011 despite any obstacle that comes my way.

I am Strong and I am Powerful. You are too, it IS inside you. You know that burning flame that flares when you feel alive, when you experience pure joy? Think about it, you will remember feeling it. Fuel that by reminding yourself you can decide to do all you can to change whatever it is you want to, to accomplish the goals and dreams you want. YOU CAN make a difference in that happening, even if it is only tiny at first, don’t quit!, bigger changes will happen-I have lived it many, many times.
It’s not easy, it can be scary, but it is so empowering when you yourself accomplish something you didn’t think you could. That flame inside you, it will become so strong and powerful you will become addicted to the feeling-feeling that proud. I wish this feeling for all of you in 2011 and hope that you decide to make it happen. Please know I am here if you need a little push or a hand to hold-I may need one at some point too.
And those wishes I have silently spoken every year before the next year started, I will speak them again tonight with a smile on my face and great pride for I know I am going to do all I can to have a healthy year with healthy and strong lungs and…that cure for CF I know is coming very soon.

May you ALL turn your wishes into reality and stay committed to your resolutions in 2011 to LIVE LIFE FULLY.

Happy and Healthy 2011! Make it your best year yet and may Peace, Health, Love, and Strength be yours,
Dottie
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Sally
Username: Sally

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks, Dottie, for those wonderful words. You have such a great talent for expressing yourself in just the right way. I, too, hope and plan for a Happy New Year, and wish the same for everyone.

By the way, the 2nd set of DVDs work just fine, and I appreciate your prompt response.
Sally
Sally
IPF 2007
Listed for Double Lung 10/6/10
Mayo Clinic/ Jacksonville, FL
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15295
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thank you Dottie for sharing your beautiful thoughts.

Whenever I read your blog, I am often left speechless.

Join Facebook
Hostess Rise's blog

Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

You guys are so sweet...THANK YOU. I am honored to be a part of this FAMILY we have here and so appreciate your kind words and support. xo

Sally, I am so proud you ordered the DVD's and hope you enjoyed them. Please know if there is anything I can ever do to help along your wait I am here. i wish you an amazing 2011.

Rise' Thank You for being such a great friend and your amazing commitment to this site and our "lives" You have brightened my life from the moment you wrote me that first note after seeing me in the magazine all those years ago.

May 2011 be a magnificent year for us all!
Much Love, Dottie
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15301
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thank you Dottie

I first saw you on TV for the Metrx commercial. I then contacted Karen C and she gave me your phone number. Then I saw you in many magazines:-) Keep on going!!

Join Facebook
Hostess Rise's blog

Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Everyone,

i posted a new blog post on my website in memory of Jack LaLanne who passed away yesterday. My LaLanne was someone who believed exercise and quality nutrition ALWAYS made a difference no matter what the circumstance and , that we could ALL do something. I admired him greatly and think we could all learn from his lessons and how he lived his life.
If you have a moment I would love for you to visit and read the blog.

Never stop believing ALL the body can overcome and accomplish,
Dottie

http://www.dottielessard.com/thank-you/
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Happy2Bhere
Forum Leader
Username: Happy2bhere

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks for sharing, Dottie.

Jack LaLanne was truly a man to be admired.

RIP Jack

Ol' Bob
Texas Bob
My Organ Donor Tees

Heart Transplant performed Jan 28th 1991
Bod Heart Transplant Story

Happy2Bhere's Blog
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15553
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I was very saddened to hear about Jack's passing. I loved all that he taught us.

He will always be remembered.
---Jackson Memorial Hospital

Join Facebook
Hostess Rise's blog

Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi All, I finally posted a new Blog :-)
You can see the picture that goes with this of Bobby and I on both my websites and FB. I was such a Tomboy.....!!

I hope all of you are well and enjoying LIFE. XO

WE CANT DO IT ALONE

The neatest thing happened to me this weekend that made me take some deep breaths of GRATITUDE. I reconnected with two very special old friends-Bobby and Scottie. Now known as dads, husbands, successful men and- Bob and Scott. What? What happened to the little boys that I hung out with every single day growing up in our safe and quaint neighborhood? They grew up-and the coolest thing is I DID TOO!

I have thought of these boys so many times throughout life because they were my family, my childhood. They were the ones that allowed me to be “normal” growing up and helped me to LIVE. Every time I was on the bottom of the football pile in the front yard, every time we stayed outside until it was too dark to see each other building our snow fort, they helped me LIVE. They never treated me different; I was just Dottie who lived at 110. They also pushed me along when limitations were visible-they didn’t allow me to have them and even at a young age, I was so grateful for that-even more so now looking back.

I haven’t spoken to Scottie yet (sorry guys, you will ALWAYS be Bobby and Scottie to me) but I did have the absolute pleasure of talking to Bobby yesterday afternoon for about 2 hours on the phone. I missed his first phone call but when I heard his voice on my VM I literarily jumped up and down and screamed-it was like I was back at 10 yrs old waiting to go out and play! And the first thing Bobby said once we did get on the phone brought me back to a place of such pride and gratitude once again. We said hi, screamed each other’s name and then started to laugh with joy. And all of a sudden Bobby stopped, paused and said “Oh My God, you are laughing and not having a coughing fit, I can’t believe it” I stopped in my tracks also at the amazement of his surprise. It had been 16 beautiful years for me since my double lung transplant since I had to worry about laughing because my breath would immediately get stolen away with a huge coughing fit trying to catch my breath but Bobby and I have not been in touch for over 20 years….

I could feel the joy from him through the phone and we talked about the absolute miracle and also how he would ask his mom and another mom in the neighborhood all the time, “Have you heard how Dottie is” and how his breath would always be held until he got an answer. Sometimes it was “Not too good she is in the hospital I heard” or “She is doing a little better, hanging in”. Bobby told me he just never thought he would see me again and always remembered as children he was told his friend would probably never grow up. We laughed so hard as I thanked him for helping me “live” and all the joy he gave during those many years. He remembered how he would pull me around in the heavy, deep snow on a sled, falling, then getting back up to “pull the queen” SO FUNNY! He was superman and I was Wonder Woman! We laughed and laughed. He talked about remembering how I hated getting called inside to drink my shake or have therapy but also how they just “waited for me to come back out and jump in the game” **There is a lesson here-“do the things that aren’t so fun or what you have to do to overcome your challenges and then ‘GET BACK IN THE GAME” Don’t live by your challenges, live with and through them! And that is what I somehow managed to do and it has paid off. I am here and so excited to see these boys this summer-it will be an amazing day and we will never ever lose tough again.

As I got off the phone I thought about how much joy and peace this re connection gave me and as I told Bobby on the phone when we spoke about the ‘old days” I couldn’t have done it alone. There is no way I would’ve found the motivation or strength many times to get up after feeling so tired from a long night of shortness of breath or headaches to go out and “play” if it was not for the JOY I found in those moments-that they helped me have. Every day I got up, or went back out after a long chest PT session, and played…I was winning my battle against this worthy opponent called Cystic Fibrosis. And, I fought to be a normal kid because I was determined to live as normal of a life as I could despite what everything and everyone that was trying to tell me different. And it paid off.

So today I ask you to press your feet firmly in the ground and do whatever it is you have to to live the life that you want and deserve. Keep getting back up and back in the game. Embrace the people who support you and raise you up, let go of the people who want to pull you down or limit you. Bobby raised me up on his shoulders so many times when we played, when I was tired, when life seemed hard. He helped me see a way where I could continue-we figured it out together. Let others help raise you up and better yet, help raise others up. For none of us can do it alone but…we CAN do it!

Live your life, with every breath you have,

Dottie

*Thank You to my neighborhood crew who helped me LIVE. Fredia, Bobby, Scottie, Ronnie Jean….
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Proud of the New CF

LIVE YOUR LIFE, NOT YOUR DISEASE

As I listened to my podcast on Jerry Cahill’s site www.jerrycahill.com this morning I was very proud. My pride wasn’t my own, for myself-it was for where we have come as a CF community. We have not only survived but we have found many ways to thrive. It was a great feeling. I have lived for 44 years with this disease-which means 44 years of memories and experiences, pain and joy. Old friends who I lost way too young and way too soon and new friends that I have watched live despite many obstacles and soar. They have all touched my life and made me better.

I have experienced so many things within my own life and the life of others with this disease and each experience, even the difficult ones, have made me stronger and I believe a more complete person-a better mother, a better friend, a better coach and leader, a more grateful human being and one lucky girl.

I am so grateful to organizations like the Boomer Esiason Foundation and Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for being determined to strengthen the HOPE and DETERMINATION that lives within every person, every family, that lives daily with this disease.

When I was growing up we just were not lucky enough to have all these positive stories and encouraging news-we just didn’t. We grew with the disease and most of the news was bleak because they were still trying to figure out what the disease was and how to treat it.

NOW, we are figuring it out in a BIG EXCITING Way! I am SO PROUD and so excited for every little breathing child today-their life is full of so much hope and life expectancy and that is the way it should be.

I am so thankful to people like Jerry Cahill who not only lives every day with CF but makes sure the word gets out through his work with the BEF and his podcasts about how that is possible. Jerry thrives with what he has and I think that is exceptional. This guy runs despite needing oxygen many times to do it-he coaches, he competes. He is not only changing his life but the life of so many others-it was an absolute pleasure meeting him and getting to spend some time with him. He makes me proud to have CF.

As we met to do my podcast we knew we would have a lot in common and the most thing was our mind set and our decisions to just do what we have to do to live-to “live with” our challenges, not “live for them”. We both, and many others, have survived and lived with this disease because we chose to fight back and continue to push our limits,-not let statistics define us. LIVE YOUR LIFE, NOT YOUR DISEASE. THIS is the NEW CF-with cutting edge research, new medications, and treatments, and stories of people living a long and full life with this disease. I LOVE the new CF and what the future holds for the kids being born today with what I was born with 44 years ago. I am so grateful I have lived to see it and cannot wait to live to see more of it…until one day I get to lay down my head at night and be thankful for the cure that was found.

That’s all for today, check out my podcast and the amazing podcast stories of so many others on Jerry’s site and the Boomer Esiason Foundation site when you give yourself the time.

Be grateful for what you have in this life and live each day full of hope and determination and the belief that yes, anything is indeed possible. After all, I am breathing as I write this.

LIVE LIFE FULLY and BELIEVE YOU CAN

Dottie
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...
Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15956
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Dottie

I am so happy and proud to know you.

Thank you for being a shinning star for so many of us. We all need role models in our lives. Keep up the GREAT work!
CF- dx at 2yrs. 2nd double lung tx-05

Debra Fertel MD- Jackson Memorial Hospital Si Pham MD, Professor of Surgery

Anas Hadeh MD, Cleveland Clinic, Weston, Florida Cystic Fibrosis consultant- Critical Care and Sleep Medicine

Join Facebook
Hostess Rise's blog
Questions- Hostess Rise

Hostess Rise'
Board Administrator

Post Number: 15982
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Okey dokey to all you say because you are definitely a shinning star.

This was your BEST interview ever.
CF- dx at 2yrs. 2nd double lung tx-05

Debra Fertel MD- Jackson Memorial Hospital Si Pham MD, Professor of Surgery

Anas Hadeh MD, Cleveland Clinic, Weston, Florida Cystic Fibrosis consultant- Critical Care and Sleep Medicine

Join Facebook
Hostess Rise's blog
Questions- Hostess Rise

Dottie Lessard
Forum Leader

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

New Blog Post

I hope you all are well and ready to have a HEALTHY and HAPPY summer!

http://www.dottielessard.com/a-spark-in-a-child%e2%80%99s-day-goes-a-long-way/
Dottie,
Survivor of
www.dottielessard.com
WholeBodyWellbeing.com
ASK DOTTIE...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Contact Us
Established 2000 © TransplantBuddies.org