Safe Eggs
These forums are archives of older posts, and are available to read only.
In order to post new questions or comments, please
visit the active forums at http://www.transplantbuddies.org/phpBB3/index.php
Log Out | Topics | Edit Profile
Transplant Forums

Creatine Levels Log Out | Topics | Register | Edit Profile

TransplantBuddies.org Forums » Kidney - Pancreas Transplant » Archive through August 11, 2010 » Creatine Levels « Previous Next »
Hockey68
Username: Hockey68

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I am four weeks post tx and my creatine level has went from .7 after tx to 1.0 in one week! Should I be concerned? Does anyone elses levels fluxuate much?
Richard Owens
Username: Richardindy

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hockey68,

Welcome to TransplantBuddies.

I'll give you a primary, important rule about being a transplant: WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT, so sometimes, what applies to one may not be useful in another patient.

Such differences are normal and should be expected unless your life is regulated to the point you drink the same amounts of fluids each day, along with many other definite activities with few or no exceptions. There are many things that go together to make up a lab. The amount of fluids is the main one, however, that will affect a creatinine lab. You do not say if you've had another lab after the 1.0. Don't be surprised if it goes back to the .7 area. Very few consecutive labs will be the exactly the same.

A personal note: In the almost-24 years since I began tracking my creatinines as a transplant, mine has been as high as 2.0, but has generally remained in the 1.0 to 1.3 range.

If you still need assurance, call your coordinator. I'm sure he/she will be glad you are concerned enough to care. If your lab creatinine varies too much, your coordinator will probably call with a lab order to repeat the lab.

Again, WELCOME!!! I wish you well for a very long time.

Richard
Kidney Transplant - Aug 30, 1986 - Type One Diabetes

Liver Transplant - May 15, 2007 - Hepatic Carcinoma due to Hepatitis C
Hockey68

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks Richard. They are going to repeat the labs Friday!
ChuckZ
Username: Chuckz

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi Hockey68,

First, I agree with Richard, one or two values usually do not mean very much. I might add that 0.7 is extraordinarily low and most kidney transplant recipients would jump for joy if they had a 1.0! Have they been adjusting your meds, especially your prograf? When I had my transplant 5 years ago, my creatinine went down to 1.2 with 48 hours after my surgery. However, my prograf level was low so they kept increasing the dose so that I had a trough level of 10-12 to start. My liver kept on chewing up the prograf, so they kept upping my dose until I hit the trough, but this caused my creatinine level to climb to 1.6. A few months later, my center began to taper my prograf and now my creatinine is 1.22 to 1.49. As you can see, I have a normal range that is 0.27 wide. I would not be excited if had a 1.6, unless it stayed there.

You should read my advise on another recent thread. Every patient should be consistent, almost "robotic" when preparing for blood tests. Drink water, avoid caffeine, heavy protein meals, late snacks of any sort, excessive exercise, etc. the night before. Average at least 5 consecutive blood tests, add 1.5 to the average and this should be your max normal reading. Two points higher than your max should make you concerned.

Chuck

PS I am a hockey fan too. I live and breathe the Penguins.
Joan
Username: Coco1999

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Richard is right. My creatinine is between 0.6 - 1.3 for the past 9 yrs.

The creatinine level is really relied on your health condition, your diet, your exercise, the amount of fluids you drink., and if you take your medications correctly.

Good luck with your brand new kidney,

-------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transpant - 9yrs
Hockey68

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks to everyone who has replied! Its reassuring to hear from others that share your same experiences.
rew1000
Username: Rew1000

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

My creatinine runs 1.3 to 2.0. It can vary a great deal, one day 1.3 and 1.7 the next. I would love a 1.0 never had one before. As a result of my fluxuations the transplant center wont release me back to my doctor.
Polycystic Kidney Disease
Transplanted 05/20/2009
Lifelink/ Tampa General Hospital
Hockey68

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Repeated labs and now my creatnine is 1.1! Went up another .1 but the Docs still say they aren't concerned. The say its probably from my old kidney shutting down and it may even go up a little more before it stabalizes. Anybody else heard of this? This was also my first time using this lab and they said results will vary from lab to lab. Sorry for babbling, guess I'm just a little paranoid.
Heart-Kidney 6-2010
Boop
Username: Betty

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hey rew1000 five years removed. Except I was CMV negative low WBC's never neutropenic though and eventually got discharged to local nephrologist when I stopped take the Valcyte. The road does evently go both ways and now only get seen every year. My creatine is rock solid at 1.0 -1.2 Hang in ther Hockey 68 it's only natural to be concerned about your labs they want the patients to be their own advocate
Boop
polycystic kidney disease
living organ recipient 9/30/04
Richard Owens

Post Number: 634
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hockey68,

Yes, different labs vary a little. In fact, a single lab can vary, too. I've often speculated that if "normal" people had regular creatinine labs like we do, theirs would vary, too! I think you will find that no matter what YOUR normal creatinine finally settles at, your doctor will not be looking so much at the absolute figure as at the trend. If it goes up a tenth or two each time, he will notice that and be quite interested. You're not paranoid, just in a learning curve. LOL Any time you have a question, don't be shy in asking--either here or with your transplant team.

Take care and enjoy your new kidney. Life is bound to be easier, now.

Richard

Hockey68

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Just curious what must of your baselines are? Is a person with only one good kidney going to be a little higher than someone with two?
Heart-Kidney 6-2010
rew1000

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

its been almost 14 months and they still have not set a base line on me, I think it should be 1.3 to 2.0 because thats what its been running, they keep telling me they want it at 1.4 or lower. I personally dont think that will ever happen and they will have to change there thoughts.
Transplanted 05/20/2009
Robin
Forum Leader
Username: Mamaru

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hi rew1000.

I'm curious if they removed a kidney when you had your tx? My hubby has PKD and both of our children inherited the gene from him. When he had his tx they did a nephrectomy. We were told that the kidneys was so large (10 lbs) and it would've crushed his new kidney. His sister has PKD as well and is 3.5 yrs post tx + doing well. They removed one of her kidneys last yr and she'll have the other one removed this month. Both have enlarged stomachs + she has pain. The cysts are bursting. Do you have cysts on your liver as well?

I hope you continue to feel better.
Forum Leader - Living Organ Donation

Husband had a Bone Marrow Transplant 09/08/1993. Diagnosed with CML that went into a blast crisis and became ALL.

Donated a kidney to husband 6/26/2008
Husband and both kids have PKD

I WANT TO BE REMEMBERED FOR THE LIFE I GAVE AS WELL AS THE LIFE I LIVED
I found this on a website and its so true
Hockey68

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Robin, I do not have any cyst that I know of. They left my original kidneys in and said they would eventually just harden up and sit there and shouldn't cause me any problems!
Heart-Kidney 6-2010
rew1000

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Robin They did not remove my old kidneys they are still there. Thay said I have room to leave them there. I have had cysts bust and it is very painful but does not happen very often and has not happened since transplant. The only problem I have is when I eat alot probably more than I should my stomach presses against my kidneys and they ache for a while. So I try to eat smaller meals. yes i have cysts on a corner of my liver not real bad they said my liver should be fine. I am A 6'-1" 192 lb. male and I got a female kidney which I was told is smaller than a male kidney and I think that maybe thats why my creatinine varys between 1.3 and 2.0. just wish it would settle down I'm tired of driving to tampa I dont live there so its a all day affair. But I feel great so I think that the creatinine is fine right where it is, wish doctors agreed with me.
Transplanted 05/20/2009
Richard Owens

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

You asked about baselines. Mine is from 1.0 to 1.2. No, the number of kidneys seems to make little or no difference in the creatinine numbers.

One figure that does, though, is the GFR or eGFR. (e denotes "estimated" and is a derived figure from other labs. If no e, then it is a separate lab.) This is the total efficiency of your renal system. It is usually thought of as a percentage of renal function with 100 being perfect for a two-kidney person. Once in a while, you may hear of someone above 100, but not often. Transplants, who have one functioning kidney are doing well if they are above eGFR = 60. In fact, it is not even calculated if it is. Mine has been "> 60" for as long as I've been getting labs performed. You may already know that you can live fairly normally with any GFR above 30. So, you can see why we transplants are grateful for ">60".

I'm not aware of any other difference in lab figures between 'normal' and transplants.

Good questions, though the baseline question will probably have little relevance to YOUR situation. We are all different, and since our kidneys didn't originate in our bodies, there are many things that can and do affect how well they work in a second body--OURS!

Enjoy your new-found good health. As I said in my first post, a LOT of us would love to be looking at creatines lower than 1.0.

Richard

jaimeskidney
Username: Jaimeskidney

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Interesting. My GFR has always been 40 something since my transplant. Never got higher. Doc told me no big deal.

My BUN and Creatinine are always normal range except a couple of times the creatinine was over 1.4 which is the high end of the normal range for my lab but I was told it probably meant I ate a higher amount of protein the day before or not enough water before the test. Now I slug down two 1/2 liters of water before I get drawn. Makes for an easier draw and usually the results are more accurate.
Carol with Jaime's Kidney :-)
Kidney Transplant 12/13/07
Loyola Medical Center - Maywood, IL
rew1000

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

My GFR was 63 right after transplant and has gradually drop to 40 now
Transplanted 05/20/2009
Hockey68

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Well had an appt with the TX doc and he explained my creatinine numbers to me. My Cr was low right after my TX because I had lost almost all of my muscle mass from being so sick and hospitalized for nearly two months prior to my TX. And that as I gain muscle back, they expected my Cr to rise some. I just wish they would have explained this to me up front and not let me be scared something wrong for weeks! Cr seems to be holding around 1.0-1.2 now and GFR is around 82! I,m good with that!
Heart-Kidney 6-2010
CiscoKidney07
Forum Leader
Username: Gregg

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Well, Jonathan, that is good news. You know, there were many questions that I had before tx, some of which my significant other did some research on, so she knew what kind of questions to ask about how I would feel post tx. I am glad that you got some answers to some of your questions. It is a very scary situation, no doubt. Because I got my kidney from a female, my creatnine is normally higher than guys who got a kidney from another male. Until the doctor explained this to me, I would never have known. In any case, good luck to you my friend!
There are not too many things in life worth working my butt off for, but my health is one of them
ravie
Username: Ravie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I got new kidney from my mom.my creatinine is fluctuating between 1.3 to 2.After coming to this forum,I m little relaxed,coz it seems in normal range.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Contact Us
© Copyright 2000-2011 TransplantBuddies.org