Join Our Mailing List
Email:
Visit our blog  Find us on Google+  Find us on Pinterest  Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter

Safe Eggs
Log Out | Topics | Edit Profile
Transplant Forums

Prograf Alternatives has anyone been ... Log Out | Topics | Register | Edit Profile

TransplantBuddies.org Forums » Kidney - Pancreas Transplant         Join our Kidney Group » Archive through March 13, 2012 » Prograf Alternatives has anyone been taken off and put on something else? « Previous Next »
Megan
Username: Megancbarnes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Has anyone with a kidney pancreas transplant been taken off Prograf and put on something else? My partner's blood sugars are ok for a while and then high and then ok and it seems to correlate with the Prograf levels but I'm not sure it's that. I've heard that Prograf is the best immunosupress drug but I've also heard there are alternatives. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Cora
Username: Cora

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I had a kidney tx in 2002 and was on prograf and rapamune. I had to change the prograf for myfotic because of toxicity to the kidney. I had a pancreas transplant in 2008 and was put on prograf again (with the myfortic) because they felt that the pancreas would do better with it. Unfortunately, I had kidney problems again so they put me back to my old regime of rapa and myfortic. I have been on this combo for roughly 3 years now and I am doing fine (knock on wood). Btw, myfortic is like cellcept only formulated to be easier on the stomach.

Cora
Dx with T1 in 1966
Kidney tx in Minneapolis 2002
Pancreas tx in 2008
Gene
Username: Gene2x

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I've been on Profraf and cellcept since my transplant last summer. I haven't noticed any variation in blood sugar based on my Prograf levels but I have noticed a wide swing based on what I eat before I go for my blood work. I'm on two week blood draws and every other blood draw I fast before because of the cholesterol and triglyceride tests. When I fast my glucose is always 15 - 30 points lower than when I eat breakfast before the blood draw. Have you checked the correlation between your eating and glucose?
Kidney Tx - Aug 4, 2011
VA Pittsburgh Health Care Center
Follow UPMC non-steroidal protocol
Live donor was my radio operator in Vietnam
1/6 match
ed
Forum Leader
Username: Ed2001

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

There are a number of alternatives to prograf. Cyclosporine, which is prograf's predecessor works in a similar way to how prograf works but doesn't affect blood sugars much. Then as Cora mentioned, there is rapamune and also everolimus, both of which belong to the mTOR class, and have been used with cellcept or myfortic to replace prograf.

The other thing could be prednisone, unless your center uses a non-steroid protocol.

The concern here is to be able to make sure that prograf is the cause before your doctor decides to switch.
Kidney Transplant
April 2001
cruizin
Username: Cruizin

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2012 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Some people are being switched to a new drug called Belatacept. It's a once-monthly injection. Emory in Georgia in particular does a lot with that drug.

http://whsc.emory.edu/home/multimedia/videos/belatacept-transplant-drug.html
Received kidney Mar 16, 2011, from my brother! 3/6 match
St. Joe's, Hamilton, ON
Peritoneal dialysis Nov '08 - Mar '11
Dx 1995 - believed to be chronic glomerulonephritis
Started CAPD Oct 2008

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Contact Us
© Copyright 2000-2013 TransplantBuddies.org